Wednesday, July 27, 2011

PYHO: Turning my frown upside down



I have 3 special needs kids.  No one wakes up one day and says "HEY, I want to have a bunch of special needs kids!"  They are mine and I wouldn't change a chromosome about them!  

Having said that, it can be an overwhelming feeling to have A special needs child.  There is a whole, a need, in my area for special needs parenting advocacy groups.  I am not sure if I've said it on here before but I tutor on the weekends.  I tutor 2 amazing children who just so happen to have an extra something in their DNA as well.  

One of the moms of a child I tutor told me in May about a meeting the district was having about a special needs PTA of sorts.  She and I showed up.  Out of 1,100 special needs kids, only 2 showed up.  Between the 2 of us we had 4 kids represented.

We are now going to head up and start a special needs PTA in our district.  As of today.

I am taking my "negative" and turning it into a positive.  If I can help just ONE parent I will do what I can.  I have a lifetime of parenting my children.  Why not be involved with their education a bit more?

2 comments:

Shell said...

That is an awesome thing for you to do!

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

I'm so glad you're doing this for your community! I'm sure there are parents out there who feel so incredibly alone, because they have no idea who else is out there with special needs kids and have no idea where to turn.

You're going to help kids and adults alike. :)