Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PYHO: The incredible 40 year old bungee-like umbilical cord


I don't want to use Wednesdays as a bitch session.  Having said that I really think my mother in law forgot to cut the cord from my husband.  I really swear she did.  The cord doesn't stretch more than 20 minutes.  I wear that's why we live here!

My husband hasn't been a religious man.  She turned him off to organized religion.  I can't take all of the kids on my own.  Chris has a tendency to run up and down the isles.  We have, however, taught the children about who God and Jesus are.  We have given them a good moral system.  What we don't do is spend that one hour a week in church.

This past weekend my brother-in-law became a "born again" Christian.  I am very proud of him and his new found faith.  George actually asked me to start going to this church.  I am happy but it needed to come from him.  She called me up and asked me if we were going to church on Sunday.  I asked her why before I answered.  She is worried for my children.  I made her cry the other week she says.  

She said that the other week when she had our children over night Matthew did something he shouldn't have and instead of simply saying "No" she said "How would Jesus feel?"  In typical Matthew style he asked who Jesus was.  Not because he doesn't know but because he has a language delay and has processing issues.  She is worried that our children will not enter heaven.  Are you serious woman!?

She went on to tell me she is worried about Matthew and his encopresis.  She thinks Matthew is going to die from being constipated.  She thinks the doctor doesn't know what she is saying.  Apparently my mother in law got her medical degree recently as well.  She had to tell me *again* how the doctor told her to manually stimulate George to go to the bathroom.  Seriously woman!?  You strapped a glove on your hand and put a finger up his butt to make him go potty!  There's something wrong with you lady!  I'm not doing that.  I'll stick to what the doctor told us and that isn't to molest my kid to force a poop.

She is on a health kick and has now started asking me what George's eating habits are.  He's 40!  Cut the freaking cord!  According to her (and Dr. Oz) I have to limit sugars to less than 3 grams per day.  I need to remove 100% of fake sugars.  She is upset that she thinks I am not doing my job to aid in his nutrition.  I'll repeat it again...HE'S 40! It's not my job to make sure he is eating correctly.  I may buy food for our house but it is up to him to eat it.  Just as I have said before, I teach my children healthy eating habits but it is their job when they are adults to follow through and continue with the healthy habits.

 She means well...I know she does but lady cut the cord already!

5 comments:

{Stephanie}The Drama Mama said...

I know you are mad, but this was hilarious. I love that you maintain your sense of humor when you are mad.

As for the whole she made him go thing? Ick. Shame on her.

KittyFitz50 said...

I feel your pain. I had a MIL who thought I should be a mother to my husband, like she was to hers. Never happened and she never got over it.

BTW, you can tell her that manually stimulating little George probably made him dependent on it and made the issue last longer.

I'd just tell her to address George directly... Good luck.

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

I understand the whole not being able to go to church with the kids alone. I miss it, but until things change around here, I don't know how I can do it alone. I don't want Hopper to have a meltdown on the stairs right behind an elderly person and cause them to fall or have a heart attack! No doubts that they know who Jesus is, though. :)

I'd say I was surprised your mil didn't realize that your little one needs refreshing from time to time due to processing disorders, but in dealing with my own mil, nothing surprises me. It's like they pretend to hear what you're saying but don't care enough to really listen. ::Sigh::

Miralax made all the difference in the world with Scooter when she was little. It actually worked, as opposed to everything else we tried. You could always give him some Miralax for a few days and then ask your mil to glove up...just don't stand downstream. :D

Missy said...

Judy, We've done the miralax thing for about 3 years now, regular "clean outs" with magnesium citrate and enemas, supposoroties, etc. He was going every 3 weeks. He had it down to every 3 days. Now we're back to 1.5-2 weeks :(

Shell said...

So frustrating! I get that mils want to help, but they need to know when to back off, too!