Monday, July 18, 2011

Let it Be

It's no secret that I am a HUGE Beatles fan.  One of my all time favorite songs is "Let It Be" along with "Blackbird", and "Here Comes the Sun".  


Last week as we were on our way to the airport after spending several days in Boston for the genetic study we did and I head the song "Let it Be". It was really hard to contain the tears but as silly as it sounds it was comforting.  We are very grateful for the opportunity to participate in the Simons VIP genetic study.  It did come with some answers that I don't think I was prepared for.  

I knew Chris had a severe expressive language issue.  I didn't realize how severe.  The doctor who was in charge of the study site felt that if we didn't do something to help him, as in an augmentative communication device as soon as possible his communication skills would never improve.  This will have a negative impact on his ability to learn and can impact his cognitive skills.  I talked to a Supervisor today in our district about having an evaluation for augmentative communication come September.  We were also told to get a formal behavioral plan set up .  My arm, leg, and the rest of my body are aching for that!  The child can go from sweet as pie to headbutting me in the leg in a blink!

It seems as if Matthew's supports for now are correct.  They felt as if Matthew has an expressive language delay, a motor skills issue, and a quarky personality.

Jon, they felt had PDD_NOS.  I know this is going to sound silly but this hit me like a ton of bricks!  I felt that he "was my only hope" pardon the Star Wars reference at having a "typical" kid.  We have just about all of his supports in place already.  I talked today to the speech person in the ESY program and to the Supervisor.  We will up his speech by one session and add some social skills goals in September.

As we drove away from our time in Boston I thought about how wonderful of an experience we had- how blessed we were to have this experience.  While we drove away all I could think is "Let It Be".  

1 comment:

Kathi said...

Hi! I wanted to comment and say I am interested in following your blog! I am also a special ed teacher and I have just started a blog to help children with special needs. Please check it out and help spread the word: www.tips4specialkids.com