Monday, May 9, 2011

They call it gardening I call it therapy

I've had a garden for 5 years now.  It started small with tomatos, herbs, and green beans.  I loved going outside and picking my beans to cook for Jon and Matthew who were eating finger foods at the time.  Now my garden has grown to include herbs of many kinds, raspberries, tomatos, lettuce. peas, carrots, corn, and green beans.  My boys love planting the seeds, watering them, pulling weeds, and picking the fruit and veggies.

           Jon, Matthew, and Christopher think it's fun and are eager to plant the seeds.



They thought that they were only planting carrots, corn, and watermelon.  In reality they were talking about the colors, shapes, and characteristics of the seeds.  They were also using their fine motor skills to pick up the seeds and place them in the ground. 

Jon, Matthew, and Christopher love to water the plants as they grow.
While they call this fun as they worry about their plants growing, I call this Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.  They have to get the water hose on to put water in their watering bucket.  That takes fine motor skills to open the faucet.  While they call it crunching down to get to the ground, I call it squatting and working their leg muscles and balance.

While they call it getting dirty and digging in the mud and dirt.  I call in sensory intergration.  Afterall, not often will my little one let this happen.


They call it fun.  I call it therapy.  We just won't tell them that they are learning :)

Don't forget I'm selling bracelets to fun out trip this summer for the 1st conference/gtg for 16p11.2 syndrome.



I'm selling, as you can see, yellow, blue, and red bracelets in adult and kid sizes.  They say 16p11.2 syndrome awareness.  I was asking 4 for kid and 5 for adult sizes but haven't really gotten anyone interested.  So, I'm going to cut it back to 2 for kid and 3 for adult sizes.  Go to paypal and send the money to marissa_sara@comcast.net as a gift.  Then e-mail me and let me know your address, sizes, and colors you want.  Thank you!


2 comments:

TrippenIn said...

Greetings Tiredmommy, I saw You on Kateplusmy8's twitter page tonight & checked out your blog.
I'm very impressed with your courage among other things.
You have most likely had many well meaning strangers give you advice and that is not my intention.
I just wanted to share with you the story of my Grandson. It is in no way the same as what you deal with and maybe you are ready looked into this.
From the age of 3 my grandson started showing a lot of rage, He was very hyper. By the time he started pre K at age 4 it was getting worse. He has a very loving home and the support of both parents & a older sister that adored him. Through the first year of pre k he made no friends & had time outs more times then I can count. Anyway he was a candidate for Ritalin(sp)Lots more to the story but we found artificial colors to play a big part in his problems. Then one of the other mother at the school directed my daughter in law to a Homeopathic Dr. that specialized in Autism, ADHD etc in children.
We got a couple Homeopathic Remedies and his quality of life improved in more ways then I can count.
The Dr. was very reasonable in price and more then willing to work with us.
I do Admire you! I Admire the tools you work with.
God Bless You On Your Journey In Life!

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing this post with us tonight. I am so glad you told me about your producing raspberry bush! Love the hands on learning your boys have gotten to experience out in their garden. :>