Jon- full day kindergarten (they offern 1/2 day for typical kids). He will be in typical kindergarten in the morning and resource room in the afternoon to recieve more assistance with his learning. His speech is going ok and she's providing a lot of visual cues to have him NOT elongate words, sounds, etc. He's improved his OT skills and is working hard with fine motor skills. His meeting went smoothly. He'll be getting group OT and individual and group speech.
Matthew- *meeting number 2* full day kindergarten. Same as above for placement. He'll be getting group OT and individual and group speech. His PT wanted to dismiss him and this is where it gets rough. I wouldn't allow them to dismiss him. He has several doctors all agreeing he needs the service and it is educationally necessary. Matthew's not able to dress himself right now. I dress him to go to school. If I didn't, he'd have everything backwards, inside out, over his jammies. He can't get his sneakers on or off. Chris can get his sneakers on. So, my 3 year old is higher in this aspect than my 5 year old. He can't go to to a park without falling. I asked for exit criteria and I was told I was thinking from my heart not from a school's prespective. After I responded with "I have a special education degree and was casemanager for 4 years and a teacher for 7." they changed their tune. Matthew has at the very least PT on a consult basis for the first 9 weeks. They are to do a standardized assessment on him to exit him out.
We left in a note like this
Chris' IEP: He's staying on as a full day kid. They are upping his speech. He'll have 5 sessions now instead of 4. He will be getting the same amout of OT BUT it will be in a different format. The class he will be in has a group OT and he'll have an individual session. His PT will be decreased because his educational day isn't impacted by his motor delay. His meeting went smoothly as well.
Now we're done until next school year.




3 comments:
YAY!! Sounds like good plans all the way around, at least thats how you make it sound. Do you wish they would do more for Matty?
On my end, her 504 will carry over to next year, in a county that is MUCH better prepared to deal with her. As for Scoobs? He's now getting Speech twice a week instead of once, and will continue through the next year.
YAY!! Score!!
XOXO
"I was told I was thinking from my heart not from a school's perspective." That was poorly said. You gave the absolutely correct response. Did they not know that about you?
In response to your twitter request - after you draft your concern - pass it around to many trusted persons for feedback and specifically ask to help to remove any beotchy tone.
Also, sharing this Mom blogger:
http://professormother.com/
Also, I am an HP-phile, too.
Barbara, OT & PT
I'm not sure of the OT who said that knew. I know the others did because I also went back to school last year and got a Master's Degree in Reading. She was much more receptive in Chris' meeting after knowing that I have a few degrees in education. Thank you!
Post a Comment