Monday, September 26, 2011

Sensory bucket overload

I thought I had pictures for my home made crayons I had done for Christopher's birthday party.  I don't so I'll make more crayons and do pictures.

What I'll share is our sensory buckets we did for Christopher's party that we had this past weekend.
I had tons of rice, like we get rice with WIC but my boys won't eat it.  

Chris is in an autism room so I was trying to do activities for his class that would be fun but educational.
We had brown rice but the instructions say not to use brown.  We did anyway.

First we poured two 16 ounce bags of rice in a ziploc bag.


I added about a 1/4 cup of vinegar


Next I put food dye in the bag.  I squirted about 15-20 drops in since it was brown rice.

Once the bag was closed *it is important to make sure it is or the rice will come out of the bag*, I had the boys help and squeeze the bag to mix the color together with the rice.

I had them dry on newspapers and put them in containers for the men to try out.

For the party I put cars and trains in them.  We have done others with different things in them like black and white beans with pumpkins and skeleton buckets for Halloween and green and gold with fake gold coins for St. Patrick's Day.

2 comments:

Bonnie@TheFragileXFiles said...

That is such a great idea! I haven't done much for my boys birthdays at their scool, mainly because they don't like most of the traditional birthday celebration activities..... but it's a great idea to do things that they will like, for the whole class to enjoy. That would really bring them together with their classmates. Just found your blog through your comment on mine, on The Scoop on Poop - and mine used to be called Three Little Monkeys! Wow!

Missy said...

Bonnie, for Chris's party this year we had rugs that they played on first with trains and cars. Next they did the rice buckets and from there they moved on to stampers. I used to teach preschool so pulled from my "bag of tricks" and did things that I would have in a preschool room.

Jon and Matthew's party is Saturday and they are having a pinata that looks like the Death Star and the stick will look like a light saber. The will be playing with legos and doing a Padawan Training Camp complete with an obstacle course. Now only if the rain will hold out...Their theme is Lego Star Wars.