Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What to do? What to do?

I've made no secret that my chunky monkey can be as stubborn as a mule.  George tells me that he's got MY attitude.  We're getting reports home from school that he is having behavioral issues there now.  He's telling me he's tired or that the work is too hard for him.  I am the one that understands him the most so it is hard to convey that to school.  He is trying to tell them something by his behaviors yet it seems as if it is going un-noticed. 

I know that he needs to listen and behave himself but I keep going back to the simple point that he's 3.  Typical 3 year olds don't necessarily HAVE to go to school. Typical 3 year olds can tell you what is going on with them.  Typical 3 year olds don't to be taught how to walk, talk, and play.  It can be so hard to balance the fact that he is only 3 with throwing as much therapy as we can at him. 

School wants me to stop after school therapies.  I don't see how 2 hours a week after school is doing anything to harm him several days later in the afternoons of his school. 

I put in a call the the geneticist about it and she told me that they need to give him some downtime.  He goes from one class to lunch to the other class.  He has no recess and has no playtime.  We know that the 16p syndrome has fatigue with it and I'm worried that he is showing it more now.  She agrees with me to keep the after school therapies and ask school for a break in the day for Chris.  I'm ready to cut it down to half a day.  They aren't giving him DIR/Floortime.  We do a lot of play at home but I think he needs more of play type therapy.

I am getting flack from my mom about this.  I'm told I'm horrible for sending him to a full day program when he's just a baby.  I'm glad that she didn't have to worry about this the way I do.  That poor kid STILL woudln't be recieving the help they would need.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Ya know I got this same "advice/comments" from family when we did school for our now 10th old and I get it today with our three yr old. You are right to keep the after school therapies ... I know in the case of my 10yr old thatbthat is the best quality programming she gets. I justbstarted following your blog so I don't know a lot of background on your kiddo and program but I don't understand why you can't get the school to alter the program a bit more. Find your states Parent Learning Center that they aree requires to have and talk with an advocate to see what they recommend and normally if they can they will attend meetings with you at the school. I will try to read more and if I come up with any other advice I will share.

Missy said...

We have fought the school on a few items and went through the beginning stages of a due process to get Chris PT. I need to do an updated blog post with what the school and I talked about. Funny that I did call to have an advocate with us and after doing some reading, I've now successfully advocated for another parent and am hoping to hear back from a second parent's IEP meeting soon. I wasn't there at either but helped them form letters, etc.

We are looking at alterning the day a bit to help Chris and will not be touching what we have set up for now. We will have to soon as our SSDI is stopping and they had a medicaid card set up for Chris. We can't afford the outside therapy at the rate that our insurance co-pay is.