I was going through with our night-time routine just like I do every other night. I got the kids their clothes for tomorrow after Chris had his bath. I pulled out blue for tomorrow for Dress Blue for Autism day. Matthew asked me why I had picked blue for everyone. It was such a loaded question. I explained as much as I could that we were wearing blue to honor Chris. Matthew asked me what autism was and why Chris had it. My reply was as simple as I could for a 5 year old who could also have autism. "Chris was born with autism. It makes it hard for him to let us know what he wants sometimes and that's why he has to work so hard to do things." I pulled a book I had called "All About My Brother"
and read it to them for their bedtime story. Next came the moment that I wasn't prepared for. Chris looked at me and said "Mama I don't like my autism. Can you make it go bye-bye?" I started crying and told him I loved his autism because I love him. I tell everyone he does have a purpose. We were given a 1% chance of concieving on our own and we had him. He's meant for greatness.
This was one of his first pictures.




3 comments:
Look at that precious little face! I think you handled the question well.
Your words had me crying with you. Such a sweet post!
I have been there myself and can appreciate what you are going through. Please post on our facebook page as our readers love hearing stories that they too are going through. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hope-Food-Sciences/139484299446760 and I beleive he is a gift from God.
Post a Comment