Did that make you a big uncomfortable? It should. Now imagine all of that being said to a little boy. This boy.
This is MY son. This amazing, beautiful, smart, caring, mellow boy has heard the likes of another boy telling him he's a "shithead" all year.
My amazing boy, my loving child has become such a different kid! He now cries at the drop of a hat, is moody, and is fearful of going to kindergarten.
All year I have asked the school to not only stop the bully from attacking my sweet boy but to get help for the child doing the bullying.
Instead I was told that the bully violated a code of conduct policy. According to the Hillsborough's 6 Pillars of Conduct “As a student of Hillsborough Elementary, I will display the six pillars of character.
I will show TRUSTWORTHINESS by:
• being where I am supposed to be, when I am supposed to be there.
• telling the truth.
• keeping my word and doing the things I say that I will do.
I will show RESPECT by:
• using good manners when speaking.
• listening to teachers, staff members, and other students.
• accepting others for who they are and what they believe.
• taking proper care of school property and the property of other people.
I will show RESPONSIBILITY by:
• working to the best of my ability within my classroom.
• completing both schoolwork and homework.
• keeping track of and assuring the proper care of my personal belongings.
I will show FAIRNESS by:
• sharing with others.
• following the same rules that everyone else is required to follow.
• waiting my turn.
I will show CARING by:
• making sure that I include others in the things I am doing.
• using kind words when speaking to others.
• helping others when they need help.
I will show CITIZENSHIP by:
• following the laws of society and the rules of the school.
• helping to make school a safe place.
• doing what I can to help the community and those around me.”
And the Bully Policy states:
- a reasonable person should know, under the circumstances, that the act(s) will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a student or damaging the student's property, or placing a student in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his person or damage to his property;
- has the effect of insulting or demeaning any student or group of students; or
- creates a hostile educational environment for the student;
- by interfering with a student’s education or by severely or pervasively causing physical or emotional harm to the student.
This is also defined in the NJ state law for bullying.
Call me wild and crazy but being the target of multiple "shithead" etc during the year, my child is a victim of bullying. What makes it worse is that the principal is now acting as if I am doing something wrong!
What I am asking is that anyone who cares about stopping bullying join me in sending a message to Hillsborough Elementary School saying bullying isn't ok!
He thanks you.





No comments:
Post a Comment