Friday, January 7, 2011

New news to digest

We went to a new developmental pediatrician today with Chris.  He shared with me another website and a few more articles. We are to have a feeding speech evaluation, a speech evaluation, another autism screening since DSM5 is changing things around and will go back in April. He said that he wants Chris to have more speech since he is definately apraxic; he said that he was only able to understand 20% of what Chris said at the most. The doctor felt that the PT goals were innapropriate and that he should be recieving more that the school is giving us. We were given forms today to fill out going directly to court since we are having a lot of problems with the distirct.




He said that Chris' face is dysmorphic (I call him cute even if the doctors say that he has a small head, small squished face, small eyes, etc) and he is questioning something called a corpus callosum meaning the area seperating the brain hemispheres may be missing.



We are to  see an infectious disease doctor to find out why he keeps getting ear infections. He's had them starting from 3 months old; we're on our 3rd set of tubes and he had another infection 3 weeks after having the tubes put in. He also agreed with me about the adeniods and tonsils being removed. I thought they should be. The other suggestion is that Chris may have a soft cleft palate. He talks nasally and the doctor felt that the structure of the inside of his mouth may indicate that this is there. I taught a kid who was in 7th grade when her parents found out she had a soft cleft palate so I know this isn't something that is out of line. My sister had a full cleft palate and cleft lip.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

what is feeding speech?

Missy said...

It has to do with his oral motor skills, sensory issues, and looking at the mouth structures.

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

I understand about the ear infections. Scooter's 17 and has had 9 sets of tubes. The current ones she's had for a couple of years. The doctors said it had to do with the bone structure in her face. As she's grown she's getting fewer and fewer ear infections, but she still gets them. Just had one 2 weeks ago.

I just got caught up on your blog. I've been away for couple of months and haven't had a chance to read the blogs I follow. I've missed reading them and seeing how everyone is doing. I'm sorry things have been so rough for you lately, but I'm really glad your boys have you for a mama. You're such a good advocate for them.

:::hugs:::