Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jumping through hoops

I had an interview today to have Chris qualified for SSDI and a Medical Card. We will be able to use the money to pay for his medical debt the medical card will help pay for the medical bills that he will have come January 1st.




                                             
I felt like I was jumping through hoops!
We had an appointment in June where we didn’t qualify because we had too much money in hidden assets; we fixed it by cashing out all of George’s bonds and using them to pay for bills and groceries. Now we have no backup if we can’t pay a bill. Thank you Uncle Sam for making us financially unstable so we can’t pay bills.



The person wanted to know multiple times why we were applying for Welfare. We aren’t applying for Welfare; we are applying for financial assistance for our disabled child. There is a difference!



Then, we had to prove that he wasn’t going to improve drastically. I can’t remove the extra 3 pieces of his 16th chromosome. I can’t! I can’t make him NOT be autistic. She kept asking over and over if he would have a chance of NOT being disabled.




Where the hell is my easy button?

This should come with an easy button.
Seriously, life with a child who has a disability isn’t hard enough? Between the SSDI thing, trying to get OT STILL for my child.  Aetna, I’m talking to you and your claim department!, I’m going to need my two buddies tonight Ben and Jerry and maybe my boyfriend Eric. Pam, you aren’t going to barge in this time with the vampire emergency, right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have had this feeling before. Does your state have a supplimental medicare for children with disabilities? In Indiana it is called Children's Special Healthcare. And covers higher incomes than Medicaid does. Catch me at Bloggy Moms

MusingMom
musingsmom.blogspot.com

musingsmomspirit.blogspot.com

musingsmomspirit.blogspot.com

Missy said...

In NJ we have to qualify for the SSDI before we can recieve the medicare. It stinks! I wish there was one standard across all 50 states.