Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Define Normal

Today George got all excited after seeing the school's information on Jon saying "He can outgrow his autism and be normal, right?"  NORMAL?  What exactly is "Normal"?


So, in an effort to figure out what normal means I figure I'd start by looking up the definition.  According to the dictionary normal means: conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.  Who defines what it means to conform?  Why must we all be the same?  Wouldn't that be boring?  Sponge Bob seemed pretty boring when he tried to be normal.  

In our house "Normal" is a setting on our dishwasher that we rarely use.  
Normal isn't something we use to define ourselves or others.

I asked others tonight on twitter what they defined "normal" as.  My responses were:
In our house "normal" means, apraxia, autism, behaviors, speech and language delays, motor skills delays, and much more.  It means knowing about complex genetic changes.  It means being the special educator, nurse, psychologist, developmental specialists, feeding therapist, and cheerleader.  Normal is understanding what your kids wants, needs, and thoughts are even if they can't get it verbalize it.  Normal is hearing a Wookie sound or R2D2 and not thinking twice about it.  Normal is not batting an eye at hands flapping.  Normal is not having money because you have to save it for the specialist appointments that are lined up for the week.  

I don't like to be normal and fit in with the crowd. I never did.  Sponge Bob didn't pull it off well either. 
While others may want to fit in, I enjoy my children's differences.  I enjoy my children and relish in their accomplishments.  I have no doubt that my boys will go on to great things!  I adore the extra piece of chromosome that Chris has.  I wouldn't change a thing about Jon autism and all.  Matthew amazes me every day!  To me, they are my normal.  My boys may not be what others think as typical but to me they are perfect and that's what counts.



1 comment:

The Dolls Are Alright said...

I'm with you ~ no way do I ever want to be normal or have friends that are normal. Truth is, I don't even know anyone that is normal ~ and that's a good thing.