Tomorrow we have our independent evaluation for Jon. It all started in September when I called and asked for Jon's diagnosis to be fixed on his IEP. They wouldn't change it. They told me the person who did the evaluation was a psychologist and not a medical doctor.
The CST team told me that a psychologist doesn't have the training to diagnose a medical issue and they didn't have to acknowledge it. I researched who can make a diagnosis of autism and showed proof. I showed the team that the DSM guidelines and the letter from the psychologist stating Jon has PDD_NOS. It took many calls to the state and to the Director of Special Services in our district and they agreed he probably has autism but they couldn't recognize it. They said they don't need to put it on his paperwork as it is not interfering with his educational day. I argued it was in fact interfering with his educational day and I believe his co-morbids are ADHD and dyslexia and he has a phonological deficit.
I tested Jon as I would any other kid that I worked with. I showed them the proof and they were not pleased that I tested him. They told me I was expecting too much of Jon. They forgot that I am a Reading Specialist.
It took me reading the NJ State Educational code, citing specific areas in it about independent evaluations, and diagnosing autism for the district to agree to the independent evaluation.
Tomorrow is it and my stomach is in knots now! I am afraid after seeing the speech evaluation report that the district will not put the PDD_NOS diagnosis on paperwork.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment