Wednesday, October 5, 2011

PYHO: SOS



Jonathan has been so disrespectful lately.  I'm tired of the yelling, hitting, punching, stomping, screaming, etc.  He's been horrible lately!

I try to count to 3 with him, I've tried rationalizing with him, grounding him *grounding means taking a privilege away for a day*, yelling, spanking *yes, I went there* and it's not working.

I don't know how to get through to him.  I am struggling with his diagnosis and how to discipline him.  I have tried catching him when he's doing something good, doing more positive than negative and it's not working well.

Any suggestions as to how to positively discipline a 6 year old little boy on the spectrum with ADHD?  I just want me sweet boy back :(

5 comments:

Lizbeth said...

My 7 almost 8yo went through this and I, very unwillingly at first, took away his use of the computer when he acted up. He has Asperger's and Sensory Processing. I say unwillingly as it was worse on me to have to live with him without his computer and his most prized possession but it worked. He figured out pretty quickly that I was serious. I have to tell you, its not for the faint of heart as he acted out worse initially when I took the computer away. Good Luck!

Shell said...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

I don't know if there is a pat answer... finding something that is actually a punishment for him. Have you tried talking to his doctor?

Missy said...

Shell, we are in no man's land right now. The developmental pediatricians in our area have a 12 month waiting list and the one we had been seeing won't agree to the diagnosis. She wanted to put him on meds right away though.

Amiyrah said...

Once you find out how to deal with it, please let me know. We just found out that our 6yo boy is on the spectrum too, so I totally feel your pain. Hugs to you.

I'm visiting from PYHO and would love if you could check out my post for this week :).

Anonymous said...

Maybe the answer isn't more punishment, maybe a different kind of response is worth a try. We have a high needs son (now 15) with multiple diagnosis including autism. We find calming him and responding with care instead of punishment works so much better. We offer to help when he is upset, we realize it's not personal and he he is now learning to take us up on the offer to help. He came to me not long ago when he was upset after a bad day at school and asked me to 'loan me some calm-ness until i settle down!". We were thrilled, to say the least. So much better than the usual stomping and swearing and snapping at everybody. It took a long time to switch to this method, we had to stop yelling and trying to control all his behaviour. It really has worked wonders. The best recommendation i can give is the book 'beyond consequences, logic and control'. I forget the authors, you'll probably find it on the beyond consequences website. good luck!!