I'm gearing up for another epic battle. It's me vs. the Empire of the school district. Just don't ask me to dress up in a Carrie Fisher-like outfit
Cause I would look more like Jabba the Hut Last year the school wanted to put them in developmental kindergarden and I wouldn't allow it. This year they are saying they want the boys in their typical kindergarden with resource room for supports. I have a few issues with this. Issue one, their typical kindergarden is 2.5 hours a day. Take in consideration they will be pulled for speech and OT and then taken to a resource room for literacy and math. When are they going to have time to be in the typical room? Secondly, how are they going to have time to do the academics with all the therapies?
What I saw on Friday was a group of 20 kindergarden kids and one teacher. I said I felt that was too much for Matthew and their response was "They have room for up to 22 and in 1st Matthew will have to deal with this." I want Matthew to have typical peers for modeling BUT I'm worried that he'll shut down in a room that is that big. He can't handle the noise, the group and I'm afraid he'll get lost in the crowd. On the other hand, he needs the appropriate peers to show him HOW to behave.
The typical kindergarden kids were expected to read 2 full pages on chart paper for a morning message. They were talking about 3D shapes vs. 2D shapes and pyramids, spheres, etc. I remember doing that when I taught in 2nd grade. I have taught from grades pre-k through 8.
The make up of the full day room is 100% special needs kids. The kids were sharing their journals and they were ONLY pictures and no words. They expected the kids have words on the page. Matthew is doing invented spelling right now so I don't see that to be an issue. I know next year's class make up will be different so perhaps next year's kids will be higher.
When I asked them to have a full day program I was told that they got the impression that I wanted this as a babysitter since I'm looking to go back to work next year. That isn't the case. In fact, I was offended when they suggested it. I think this is the best program placement for them. I was told they would fight me if I wanted the kids in the developmental kindergarden for this year. 2 people I know had kids in the same kindergarden and said they had kids reading and writing in the class and agreed they think it is the class makeup right now.
When I taught kindergarden we were in the room with the kids for support. It was that district's policy to NOT pull out kindergarden kids at all. The 2nd half of the day keep them in the school and provide the resource room and therapies at that time. I want them in the developmental kindergarden for support as the other alternative would be the same typical kindergarden but with a different group of kids. The other thing is that they are going to pilot a full day kindergarden but we would have to pay tuition for the 2nd half of the day. We were told if it is a means to support the boys' education they may decide to wave the tuition and provide the supports at that time.
I think I'm leaning towards the 1/2 day typical kindergarden and either 1/2 day enrichment where they can do the resource room there OR 1/2 day kindergarden with the 2nd 1/2 day being developmental kindergarden and they can have their resource room pull out during that time. I am hoping that they model appropriate "kid" behaviors and academic behaviors as well. The 2nd half of the day keep them in the school and provide the resource room and therapies at that time.
I'm concerned with the curriculum being to advanced; that I can't change now. But they told me what they cover in kindergarden and some of the concepts I didn't introduce until the end of first grade beginning of second grade. I think things should be more developmentally appropriate so as to NOT confuse them more. I also disagree with their reading program. That I can't change as well. I HATE Wilson reading with a passion!
Can I keep them like this forever?




No comments:
Post a Comment