Thursday, January 14, 2010

IFSP meeting gone wrong

I knew it was a possibility but was upfront with everyone and still don't like the end result.

Chris had SLP 1X week, DI 2 X per week, PT 1X per week and SW 1X per week. Based on his given levels he doesn't qualify for speech anymore. His speech eval was done with his old SLP who moved right before Christmas.

Everyone agreed with me, his receptive is higher than his expressive. He has words; we know he's trying to say something. We're just not sure what that something is. He often omits the beginning or the end sound of words, misprounces, says things quiet if he does prounounce the entire word.

We all agree that he needs it but based on the level, he doesn't have a 25% delay in it. We were told that he had a 21 month level. She put 24-28 month level. He's 29 months old, 2.5 year. I don't see him at that level and he's just exploded with his language. I don't see him at a typical 2 year old level given the articulation and issues with oral motor skills. I see his receptive skills higher than his expressive skills.

I asked for an OT eval based on sensory issues which they agreed to. His PT and DI said they felt that he would qualify for sensory issues. The person who schedules the evals is out sick and will have to do it when she gets back in. I'm hoping that we can do something the help him in this area. He spins in circles, still won't touch playdough on his own, doesn't like wet/slimy things, noises, etc. He doesn't handle crowds well.

We go back to the developmental ped on the 8th of February so I'm hoping we can get an answer with what's going on with him. IF we have a diagnosis we may be able to get the service back.

No comments: