Yesterday before I went to my college class I asked a question on a parenting forum about play skills for Christopher. Chris does wonderful playing with adults; he does amazing playing with his brothers while his therapists are here. Chris has no independent play skills. He needs to be entertained at all times. Someone on there, of which I talk to often about things, said to me she gets tired just thinking of all I do plus adding grad school.
I get tired sometimes thinking of all I'm doing! I have 5 kids (including the husband) 2 of them have special needs. One we're told we should be on the look out and it was suggested we take him to the developmental ped as well. I knew that may be the case afterall, we weren't sure if Jon and Matthew would have learning disabilities as a result of them being low birth-weight premature babies. Now that they are in preschool we can see that there are differences between what children should should and what they are doing. We know that Christopher has delays as well.
I responded to the person that I enjoy the time in school. I finally have the "ME" back! After I had gotten married I somehow lost that. I became consumed with infertility, pregnancy, multiples, prematurity, researching special needs. I lost me in that. I became angry, bitter, anxious and a shell that once was me. Before all this happened I loved being in academia. I loved learning and gaining knowledge.
By me being in college I am in the academic area. I have actually let it known to everyone what my goals are for the future. I am going to start looking into PhD programs and want to get my doctorate in Reading/Literacy. As a mom in a unique situation to worry about my children's ability to acquire the ability to read because of their language difficulties. I want to find ways to help my children learn to read. I am doing what I love again!
I am doing this not only for me but for my kids. My mom went back to college when my sister and I were young. I remember watching her graduate. I can even tell you what my sister and I were wearing since it was matching! We had white seersucker shorts or pants with a purple shirt that had rhinestones on it. I remember being so proud of her! Even at 4 years old my twins are starting to show pride in what I'm doing. Before I was getting ready to leave today for my class, Jon starting going through my backpack and I asked him what he was going. He told me that he was looking for my work so he could put it on the refridgerator. He was so upset that he couldn't put anything on the fridge. I told him we'd put work in it soon.


I get tired sometimes thinking of all I'm doing! I have 5 kids (including the husband) 2 of them have special needs. One we're told we should be on the look out and it was suggested we take him to the developmental ped as well. I knew that may be the case afterall, we weren't sure if Jon and Matthew would have learning disabilities as a result of them being low birth-weight premature babies. Now that they are in preschool we can see that there are differences between what children should should and what they are doing. We know that Christopher has delays as well.
I responded to the person that I enjoy the time in school. I finally have the "ME" back! After I had gotten married I somehow lost that. I became consumed with infertility, pregnancy, multiples, prematurity, researching special needs. I lost me in that. I became angry, bitter, anxious and a shell that once was me. Before all this happened I loved being in academia. I loved learning and gaining knowledge.
By me being in college I am in the academic area. I have actually let it known to everyone what my goals are for the future. I am going to start looking into PhD programs and want to get my doctorate in Reading/Literacy. As a mom in a unique situation to worry about my children's ability to acquire the ability to read because of their language difficulties. I want to find ways to help my children learn to read. I am doing what I love again!
I am doing this not only for me but for my kids. My mom went back to college when my sister and I were young. I remember watching her graduate. I can even tell you what my sister and I were wearing since it was matching! We had white seersucker shorts or pants with a purple shirt that had rhinestones on it. I remember being so proud of her! Even at 4 years old my twins are starting to show pride in what I'm doing. Before I was getting ready to leave today for my class, Jon starting going through my backpack and I asked him what he was going. He told me that he was looking for my work so he could put it on the refridgerator. He was so upset that he couldn't put anything on the fridge. I told him we'd put work in it soon.






No comments:
Post a Comment