Wednesday, December 8, 2010

How it went and how I envisioned it

Yesterday was the IEP meeting to discuss the goals we wanted to add for Chris for the increased 30 minutes we fought to get him.  This is what I envisioned: I walk in and we talk about the 3 reports I gave the district, the neurologist's recomendations, the geneticist's recomendations, the neuro-opthomomogist's recomendations, the developmental pediatrician's recomendations, and the genetic pamphlet and the all agree that they need to provide Chris with the help that he should.  The Physical Therapist would have agreed that her recomendations were incorrect and she magically saw the errors in her way.  She would offer more PT for Chris without any problems and would agree with everything I'm saying and all the information I provided.  She would have provided goals to work on his stamina, balance, and strength.  We would all sing kumbaya and do a group hug in the end as we all agree to work together to serve Chris' needs. 
What really happened?  "We don't want to go to court so we're giving Chris the extra 30 minutes you were asking for althoug we don't see the need for it."  "I'm a board certified neurodevelopmental physical therapist BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"  What I said "Clearly someone doesn't know what to do with Christopher if 3 different therapists who provided us with independent evals, a geneticist, neurologist, pediatrician, neuro-opthomologist, neurodevelopmental pediatrician, and all the genetic reports and information on the 16p11.2 duplication all say the same thing."  Their response? "I don't treat the syndrome I treat the person and I've not looked at any of the doctors reports or recomendations from the genetic paperwork."  Obviously understanding the medical aspect of Chris' diagnosis wasn't important to the therapist otherwise she wouldn't have suggested he needed eye therapy when the 8 other people disagreed with her.


After this things sounded more and more like this to me "Blah, Blah, Blah....I think I know better than you and am pissed you are questioning me."  In the end the group hug looked more like this...


3 comments:

Jessica said...

Well I'm glad you ultimately got the services for Chris that you wanted but sorry it had to go the way it did. I guess at least it is good that the IEP is over right???

Missy said...

It's somewhat over. We've been fighting with them over this point since JUNE! He started school in September. The PT still thinks his W sitting is a habit not something to stabalize him or to give him sensory input. I, according to her, don't know what I'm talking about. Funny since I taught 7 years of special education before being Chris' mom. My specialized area was autism.

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy said...

Ugh! Some of those early IEPs about killed us for situations much like this. At one point, Hopper's speech therapist tried to refuse to teach her sign language saying, "She can't sign, because her fingers are too short and stubby." We were livid!! We ended up getting our way eventually, and although she no longer signs much her spoken vocabulary increased with every sign she learned.

Go Mama! You are doing an amazing job. Trust your gut. And fight hard those fights that need fought.

And forgive me, if this makes no sense. The percocet is kicking in.