Wednesday, February 25, 2009

3 monkeys, stupid computer, first day of school and all the fun stuff that goes with it

I had a nice long thing written and the stupid computer decided to reboot itself. This was last week and I finally got up enough gumption to write another one again….anyway, since last entry….Matthew fell off of the bed and cut his lip and we had to go to the ER. He was playing “monkeys jumping on the bed” with Jonathan and Christopher. He fell off and bumped his head (ok, the inside of his lip) and when we went to the ER they said either one stitch or 5 days of antibiotics. He’s fine now

Matthew started preschool 3 weeks ago. When I took him to meet his teachers before he looked at me and said “Go home mom. I in kool now!” I cried! He was fine. He goes to the potty on his own and has made friends already. On the downside, in the three weeks, he’s brought home a stomach virus, a cold we got a letter saying lice was in the room.



















These pictures were from the first day of school.
Matthew started singing "The Days of the Week" song the other day and "Little Bunny Foo-foo" 2 days ago.
*Sorry this is sideways, I'm not sure how to fix it*

Christopher has started his therapies. He has had 3 PT sessions, 2 speech sessions and two developmental therapy. He has started sitting more appropriately instead of in his “w” position.


"W" sit.



This is how he should be sitting.

He’s done few new things as far as speech and language. He repeated “up” last week in PT. He started pointing. He pointed to the bag of tortilla chips and salsa and put the chip in the salsa and then ate it. Last week he said “juice” as well. I was asking Jonathan and Mathew if they wanted juice or milk for lunch and Chris answered juice! He has started to make a noise that I can only describe as the Gary the Snail noise. So, his new nickname is Gary the Snail.














Jonathan really wants to go to school as well. I told him he had to be potty trained before so he has decided that he’s ready. I’m hoping that he’ll be out of diapers soon! We’re going through them really fast! But, the poor kid has had the never ending ear infection; his first in 2 years. Since he’s allergic to penicillin he had to use a stronger antibiotic. It didn’t work, the poor kid has stuff pouring out of his ear! We went to the doctors after about a week but in the mean time he got the stomach virus that woke us up on Tuesday with Matthew. He was put on a different antibiotic but kept puking it up. Not a fun time….on the flip side of it, he slept more and is still wanting to go to bed earlier. Again, another down side, he is falling asleep before bath time. And, he’s giving me a problem to get in the bath when he wakes up. I have started calling him Pigpen.















Back to Chris….the neurologist said what is showing up on his brain is delayed mediation. Basically, part of his brain called myelin isn’t sending the signals correctly which is resulting in him being delayed in motor skills, speech and language and cognition. Basically, there are areas of his brain that didn’t develop properly as of now but they have until the age of two to bridge the gaps. If he continues to have the delayed mediation he will continue to be delayed. That is fine with me. I would much rather have him here with us and delayed than not have him at all. This condition can be caused by a bunch of different things from prematurity to chromosomal disorders so the neurologist wants us to get karyotyping done to see if he does have a chromosomal disorder but she said she doesn’t feel that he does. And she wants us to take him to a developmental pediatrician. Our pediatrician called someone who used to be in their practice and who became a developmental pediatrician from Jersey City and got him in there. It usually takes 6 months to a year to get an appointment. We are on a waiting list to be called if there is a cancellation and we have an appointment in April. Turns out, the guy was George’s doctor when he was little.
The boys have started taking pictures. They love to take random pictures around the house....
Last but not least....a fellow MOM (Mom of Multiples) that I know recently lost both of her girls. They were not quite 6 months old and had SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy). The sweet girls were diagnosed with this last month and passed Sunday and Monday. Tomorrow is their funeral. We MOM's have decided to wear pink in memory of Sydney and Carynne and ask that others do to.

No comments: