Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Big Elephant in the Room

  We went to the developmental pediatrician yesterday.  We went through our battery of tests with the boys (Matthew and Christopher) and have some good news about Matthew.  We got the validation that he IS improving.  It is Little Man (or should I say BIG little man considering he was around the same size Jon was this past birthday at 4!)  that we got the news on about what is going on with him. 
  I am not sure what to think because I've eluded to this before but it really is like the elephant in the room.  No one wants to see it, believe it exists or acknowledge it.  If they do, it is a reality.  I kinda feel like this with his diagnosis.  I had a clue, I mean, you can't NOT look at your kid spinning in circles and think that is ok at 2.5.  You can't NOT see your 2.5 year old with the expressive language skills of a 15-18 month old and think that is ok.  You can't NOT see his need for deep pressure to calm him and think that's ok.  You can't NOT think that him never sleeping is ok.  You can't NOT think that him clinging on to me for dear life and not knowing how to play with others is ok.  So just to defy the elephant; I'm not saying it out loud :)
  It was suggested that he recieve ABA training, PECS, and we try to get him into a preschool for at least one day a week.  He needs to work on social skills, behaviors and more language skills.  I would also like to see some DIR/Floortime as well.
  So, I called his new casemanager and talked to her about what happened and the suggested therapies.  We also have the concern that he's doing wonderfully within the theraputic setting but doesn't translate his therapies outside of that hour.  They are going to send a Parent Coordinator to the house in order to teach both George and I how to do ABA therapy with him.  I was trained in it while I taught but am not sure how to do it on a 2 year old.  She said that we need to talk to our speech therapist about the PECS.  I did talk to our Developmental Therapist about the appoitment and she said that she's been starting ABA and a mix of Floortime with him. 

No comments: